Sunday, July 3, 2011

Explanations, Churches, and English Majors.

I can see why people find it difficult or annoying trying to pick up daily blogging after being on hiatus (whether out of laziness or out of sheer choice). That's why those 365 things are stupid to me. It's an excuse to give up on blogging. And, do you really have nothing to write about that you need 365 commands/questions to answer? If anything, you read the questions ahead of time, and wanted to share with the world who your current crush is. Ain't that right?

I chose not to blog and I chose not to take pictures this week. Out of respect, and even just to take a break. Stephen says it was nice to go to First Fridays and not worry about being my photographer. In a way, I guess my life is kinda glamorous when my gay gets to follow me around and take narcissistic and pretentiously candid photographs of me while I prance around Denver.
Laugh at your own expense, but the previous statement is a) true and b) probably offensive, but I can't remember the last time I got shot down for being offensive to gays on my blog (it's been quite a while).

So, I decided, for my desperate need of therapy and for your lethargic summer pleasures, I'm just going to write.

This past week has been tough, emotionally, in my brain. Nothing anyone could see from the exterior. I didn't want to see people (and still don't, really). I spent a lot of time to myself thinking about a recent event in my life, how it was going to change my Cali friends' lives, how my life was going to change, and how it wasn't going to change. How it hasn't really changed yet. But as usual (minus the pictures), I still ate and explored more of Denver, and Yelped about them while I was at it.

Today I went to a Korean church near the University of Denver. I actually found out about it because of The Douche (if you don't know what I'm talking about, here is the reference). Then I Googled it and decided I'd check it out. I don't know, I don't mind Calvary with its casual come-and-go services and 1000+ member congregation, but to me, it's all commercial. I don't really dig the whole mega-church thing. It's on radio and everything.

Though there are always problems with an Asian church, I was raised in one. That being said, I'm used to them, and dare I even say that I am calloused by them-- to the ironic point where I want to go to them just to observe. The EM pastor was reiterating the Bible on bearing fruit (and like my hip, post-structuralist home church pastor aka EIC of SUBTLE once said to me, "there's a Christian bookstore for that"). I didn't particularly agree with all his talk about the church losing authority over its people and that those who don't necessarily agree with the Word aren't cool people. To me, the Bible is subjective to today's society. Call that "playing God" or "writing my own version of the Bible to cater to my needs" if you want. That's just what I believe.
Either way, I kinda liked listening to his message. Though it was not my cup of tea, it was certainly much more  real than the guy at the pulpit who's on 89.7 every Sunday morning.

People-wise, it was good. Everyone seemed to be twentysomethings. Mostly mid-twenties. Met a guy from Long Island who goes to Northwestern but is here for an internship (haha...). Also met a guy who finished undergrad with a BA in English and is now going for his Masters in accounting (haha x2). As a male representative of the English major, he believed that the rational route (accounting) superceded his passion (journalism), and, well, he has a good job lined up for him in September now.
Regardless, the great thing about meeting other English majors is that they understand you even if they all know it's "not practical." Every English major (unless you're a dummy) knows that being an English teacher isn't the only option, and if anything, is most likely NOT your option.

No comments:

Post a Comment